Some very scattered thoughts after finishing A Dance with Dragons about a week ago:
Staying away from the big three PoV characters for now, because that’s a whole other kettle of fish.
Looks like I got on the Aegon-is-Alive bandwagon just in time! Although now I’m beginning to have my doubts – aside from being Just Too Convenient, I’m inclined to be suspicious of any pot Varys has his fingers in. And the whole Frog storyline seems like it was meant as a parallel of some sort, but was it as a cautionary tale to set us up for Aegon being roasted, or as the failed version of what will work with Young Griff?
If Aegon is a fake, I bet you he's Ashara Dayne's son. Probably not by Ned Stark. Not sure what the timeline was on her miscarriage and suicide on one hand and the war on the other, but I bet it's possible. Either that or Edric Dayne still could be the real Aegon, but that's looking less likely.
LORAS BB I MIIIIIIISS YOU. At least he’s not dead yet. I still think keeping him alive but taking away his looks and possibly fighting ability would be classic GRRM. He is Jamie 2.0 after all.
I still want a side story in which Loras and Jamie hang out and complain about their lovers, sisters and kings. “I joined the Kingsguard to protect my sister (aka my secret lover) who married the king!” “Well I joined the Kingsguard to protect my king (aka my secret lover) who married my sister!” Etc. They could have great platonic adventures!
Speaking of Jamie, ASDFGHJKL is that all we get? Very glad to see Brienne is alive though, and since I hadn’t really expected her storyline to resolved even that far until Winds, yay.
So…I think Griff may be our first queer male POV character? ‘Cause those memories of Rhaegar didn’t look so platonic from where I’m standing. I doubt it was ever anything reciprocal, or that Rhaegar even knew how Jon felt, but I’m pretty sure Jon was in love with his silver prince.
Actual confirmation that Rhaegar was in love with Lyanna. Sweet! Not that there was much question before mind you, but it’s good to be sure.
Barristan, if you keep dropping backstory like that you can narrate alllllll book long. UNF. And your crush on Ashara? ADORABLE. I have this weird soft spot for the Daynes, given how little we know about them. Please, tell me more! And Jamie can come and talk about Arthur.
UGH I HATE VICTARION. And all other Greyjoys who aren’t named Theon or Asha. Victarion may be the best of the other Greyjoy alternatives, and I didn’t hate him in AFfC, but I hate him now. I bet he’s not long for this world either. There may not be much karmic justice in ASoIaF, but getting involved in sexual abuse seems to get characters killed pretty reliably, and Victarion has a ship full of scary rapists :( That he doesn’t do anything to stop (no, giving a scared scholar a knife after your crew raped him is not helpful). Also, setting several girls on fire, drowning the boys and giving the other girls to your crew? Does not equal freeing slaves. Just so we’re clear. Friggin Vikings.
I FELT BAD FOR THEON. I WANTED NICE THINGS FOR HIM. WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO. I also really enjoyed his chapters. They were terrifying and occasionally nauseating, but compelling.
Asha is still a crazy hot badass and I would totally do her. The end. That said, I was actually more interested in her brother's storyline this book.
Bran has really grown on me in my rereads. The HBO series probably didn’t hurt either. I actually wish we had seen more of him this book; his story is going interesting places. And hey, there’s a possibility he could give us more backstory! Hurrah!!
I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed this book as much as I did if I weren’t such a sucker for the delicious backstory.
I was sad when I realized that Kevan was the PoV for the epilogue. That never ends well. And sure enough...
This may be totally off base, but I feel like Varys is somehow involved in the wider religious struggles. Like maybe he knows about AA and the Prince who was Promised. We know he hates magic (or at least he says he does), and I feel like his idea of serving the realm is going to have more to do with the supernatural elements of the book than the mundane political ones.